By Beverley Beckley
For Blackfalds LIFE
The 2017 Business of the Year Awards were presented Oct. 19 at the Blackfalds Community Hall, an event put on jointly by the Town of Blackfalds Economic Development, Community Futures and the Blackfalds Chamber of Commerce.
On hand were local dignitaries, MLA Ron Orr and wife Donna, Richard Poole (Mayor Elect), Mayor Melodie Stol, current and councilors elect including Jamie Hoover, Ray Olfert, Will Taylor and Rebecca Stendie. A large representation of local businesses also turned out as well as 37 award nominees, the largest number to date.
Melodie Stol spoke and thanked the chamber and local business for their community involvement and for making Blackfalds such a great place to live. Also on hand was Brenda Martin of Community Futures East Parkland who talked about her organizations services and how they help business start ups and development.
In all five awards were presented that evening which included:
• Long Standing Business of the Year (10 Years) to Heather Buelow of Dancer’s Edge presented by Ken Hallet.
• Community Spirit Business of the Year to Ruth Ann Slofstra of After the Grind presented by Karen Penrice.
• New Business of the Year to Tammy Lee-Deomme of Rootz Hair Design presented by Steve Van De Vosse.
• Retail Business of the Year jointly to Shammi Jassal of Main Street Hardware and to Cindy Hannik and Jessica Dodd of Happy Camper Children’s Boutique presented by Jamie Hoover.
• Service Business of the Year presented jointly to Sabrina Malaeb of Sabrina’s Pizzeria and to Asraf Mikhail and Michael Mikhail of Blackfalds Professional Pharmacy presented by Alvin Melton.
The Master of Ceremonies for the event was Darcy Stingel.